Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Without Yogatude, without the internets

My internet has been down. I probably need a new router or modem...or both! Anyhoo, its been keeping me from updating this blog!

In my own Yoga practice...this past Saturday I went to Lululemon's free class and it was taught by this awesome instructor, Sarita Lou. Don't you love it when you go to a class and they do exactly what you need/want? Lots of shoulder opening stretches. EXACTLY what I've been needing. Muay Thai is concaving my chest and locking up my back and shoulder muscles! I am sure I need to stop tensing up too though. Either way I learned 2 cool poses.



Shoulder opening 1:
Lay flat on your belly, face down, or chin down -Yogi's choice.
Extend your left arm straight forward, overhead. 12 o'clock.
Extend right arm to the side. 3 o'clock.
Slowly start to roll over onto your right side.
Tent the fingers of your left hand to anchor you slightly.
Bend the left knee and bring the toes to the floor behind/next to your right leg.
Switch sides!

Shoulder opening 2: a modified child's pose
Come to hands and knees. Make sure hips are above the knees and keep them there. Stay squared.
Walk the hands forward as much as you can while still keep hips and knees aligned.
Bring chin to the floor or try bringing the forehead to the floor.
To go deeper, see if you can walk the hands further away.

Don't forget to breathe!

I am doing a 1 week trial at Yogaworks SoHo starting tomorrow. Updates and reviews on that to come!

No comments: