Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Meditate with me

Been playing with Trataka in my Yoga classes lately, trying to hone our concentration in meditation and in our Asana practice. The easiest thing to use is a candle. Just light a candle and stare at it. Study it. Allow the emotions and thoughts to arise and then let them go. Study the quality of the flame, how it looks, how it makes you feel...let all of those things go til there is nothing but the image of the flame burning into your eyes. Stop blinking. Things get fuzzy, the flame distorts. Keep studying it as it changes but keep staring. Resist wanting to blink, your vision will go back to normal when you stop. If your eyes are tearing very badly, allow the image of the flame to burn into you, close your eyes and still see it. Focus on the inner image that you have of it.

For me when I stop blinking everything gets dry and blurry. My vision becomes tunnel like...everything starts going out of focus except the flame until it becomes a weird Photoshop filtered image. See my candle below! Sometimes I start tearing up really bad. I had a Tai Chi teacher who said this is the real way to practice Tai Chi! Not blinking. On that note, Happy Tuesday!


No comments: