Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mantras

I didn't used to like chanting mantras...mostly because they are rarely explained and broken down. I felt like someone was forcing me into "church" when I just wanted to do yoga...at a gym, no less! I still have mixed feelings about that kind of thing, BUT I have learned to like mantras!

Mantra in sanskrit means manas -mind or consciousness; tra or trayate -to free. So, transcending the mind or creating transformation.

Another aspect of chanting mantras that I have come to like is that the sanskrit words and sounds activate and vibrate the chakras. We have all experienced this from chanting Om at the beginning and ending of Yoga class and though we may not always pay attention to it, we've all noticed its affects.

Favorite mantras:

Om namah shivaya
The chant for Shiva. Giving recognition to your true nature, and the true nature of the universe. 

Om gam ganapataye namaha
The chant for Ganesha. Removing obstacles from our path. 

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
May all beings be happy and free

Come to my class at Jai and get your chakras going! Jai Yoga Arts -Bushwick!

Ganesha, Guay Yin Temple in Koh Samui, Thailand

No comments: