Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Are you S.A.D.?

Suffering from Season Affective Disorder? Having trouble getting up in the mornings? When you do are you still groggy and tired? Feeling generally tired and low energy? Or just kind of depressed for no reason? Tendency to over sleep and overeat, craving the carbs! OK maybe you're not full on depressed but maybe you are sniffling through some lifetime movies, hell maybe you are watching lifetime movies in general. I always start to feel like my energy levels are depleted during the winter time. I live for the sunlight during the summer, so once my amount of sun is shortened, it affects me.

So here are some tips if you're feeling a little winter blues:
1. Get more vitamin D! OK maybe you're stuck in the office for those few hours of sun. Some vitamin D rich foods: fish, orange juice, milk, oatmeal, eggs, mushrooms and most cereals. Or maybe take some vitamin D supplements.

2. Get more iron in your diet. P.S. I am not a vegetarian nor a vegan Yogi. So #1 Iron rich food for me is...red meat! Look I am not a big red meat eater but I know when I need it in my diet. A small lean piece of rare/medium rare beef will do. Don't cringe yogi's but liver! YUP...chicken, pork, beef. You get it. Its a good one. And for the veggies: beans, molasses, spinach, asparagus, kale, seafood, broccoli and whole grains.

3. Get enough sleep and don't lie in bed unless its bed time. Yeah I tend to do this bc I want to hibernate in the winter time. It tends to make me sleepier and also prone to bouts of insomnia.

4. Cut down on sugars and bad carbs. When your levels spike you crash and feel extra tired! Craving cookies? Try grapes or an apple.

5. Yoga and Cardio.Instead of sleeping in just get to that Yoga class, your body will thank you. Don't have an hour or 90min to spend on a Yoga class? Run for 20min.

Obviously if you're suffering from something more serious than low energy levels you should go consult a physician. 

No comments: