Monday, February 14, 2011

Vegan Hearts for Valentine's Day.

"Valentine's Day is a holiday created by Hallmark". I am so OVER people who post these kinds of things on FB and twitter or whatevers. Its all Debbie Downer hateration. I always spend the day -in a relationship or not -making heart shaped cookies and giving them to the awesome people in my life. Some of these people happen to be Vegan, which I am not. So this year I made a batch of vegan heart cookies :) The recipe was quite good and they don't taste "Vegan-y" to the non-Vegans. they were a pretty big hit!
























So here I share with Vegan peeps and those who have Vegan loved ones in their lives:

Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2/3 cup sugar + 1/4 cup
  • 1 cup earth balance or vegan margarine
  • 1/3 cup lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup silken tofu
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice, preferably fresh

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl.
In a separate large bowl, beat together the 2/3 cup sugar, vegan margarine and lemon zest until smooth and fluffy. Add the tofu and lemon juice, and whip until well mixed, then add the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture and stir until well combined.
Form dough into one-inch balls, and roll into the 1/4 cup sugar until well coated. Flatten slightly, and bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden brown. ( I sprinkled sugar on top of the cookies when they were shaped, just before putting in the oven. This helped me control how sweet they would be.)

I will leave you with the felt heart guys my friend made...Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: